Before forming his own band, Richard was a bassist who had played with several prominent artists, including Boy George, David Bowie and Mick Jagger. In 1984 he appeared in Jazzin' for Blue Jean, a David Bowie video, as the bass player.
In the late 1980s Richard joined with his brother Fred to form Right Said Fred. The Fairbrass brothers performed as a duo for a brief period touring in New York. Guitarist Rob Manzoli joined them in 1990.
In 1994 he was joint winner of "Rear of the Year" with Mandy Smith. Following this, Fairbrass co-hosted (with Rhona Cameron) a TV series aimed at an LGBT audience called Gaytime TV (1995–1999) on BBC Two. In 2001 he co-presented a game show The Desert Forges on Channel 5.
In April 2007 Fairbrass was reported to be planning to run for Mayor of London in the 2008 election. Shortly after, during a gay rights rally]] in Red Square, Moscow, on 27 May 2007 commemorating the 14th anniversary of the decriminalisation of homosexuality in Russia, Richard and Fred Fairbrass were assaulted by members of a counter-demonstration staged by ultra-nationalists. Richard Fairbrass sustained a cut under his eye. Speaking about the incident upon his return to the UK, Richard Fairbrass commented,
- "When it was over I actually felt more sorry for the guy that whacked me than I did for me ... How threatened can he be, how insecure is he to be threatened by a bisexual pop singer who's most famous for singing 'I'm Too Sexy'?".
In an episode of Celebrity Fantasy Homes, Richard and his brother Fred were looking to spend £2,000,000 on a property in Sussex with three separate living accommodations for them and their mother.
In 2013, Right Said Fred re-recorded I'm Too Sexy as "I'm Too Smurfy" for World Smurfs Day. Richard appears on the promo, which features fresh clips from the 3D film. Global Smurfs Day benefits the charity MediCinema, which builds cinemas in hospitals.
Richard had come out as bisexual in 1991 to The Sun. In 2007, he said to Metro: "My last relationship was with a girl, so I am on the cusp. I have never described myself as completely gay". Fairbrass also has claimed he appreciates "pretty guys who look like girls and girls who look like pretty guys."
- http://www.rightsaidfred.com Official website of Right Said Fred
- http://www.myspace.com/rightsaidfred Right Said Fred at MySpace
Based on a Wikipedia article.
- http://www.rightsaidfred.com/global/story "RSF awarded 2 Ivor Novello's for 'I'm too Sexy' and 'Deeply Dippy',"
- http://www.oldies.com/artist-biography/Right-Said-Fred.html "Right Said Fred Biography"
- http://www.egnet.co.uk/celebrities/rightsaidfred.php "What's on Right Said Fred", www.egnet.co.uk
- Official David Bowie video showing Richard Fairbrass playing bass.
- http://www.rightsaidfred.com/global/story "Madonna names Richard as the most bed-able man in pop", www.rightsaidfred.com
- http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/i203447/rear-of-the-year-rear-of-the-year-richard-fairbrass.html "Rear of the Year 1994", www.digitalspy.co.uk
- http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23393091-details/Right%20Said%20Fred:%20I'll%20stand%20for%20London%20Mayor/article.do Katharine Barney "Right Said Fred : I'll Stand for London Mayor Evening Standard 18 April 2007
- http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2007170741,00.html "Rich in Bid to be London Mayor" The Sun 18 April 2007
- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6698173.stm "Moscow Anti-Gay Attack Condemned" BBC News 28 May 2007
- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6696329.stm Mike Levy "Eggs and Punches at Russia Gay March" BBC News27 May 2007
- http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/im_a__celebrity/article438717.ece Sara Nathan, Emma Cox and Colin Robertson "We're too sexy for this show" The Sun 8 November 2007
- http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/im_a__celebrity/article483101.ece "That's it we're off, said Fred" The Sun 20 November 2007
- http://uktv.co.uk/home/item/aid/614279/displayVideo/hi%3Cbr%20/%3E "Buying in Sussex: Right Said Fred"
- http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a478705/right-said-fred-record-im-too-smurfy-for-global-smurfs-day-video.html "Global Smurfs Day with Right Said Fred", www.digitalspy.co.uk
- http://metro.co.uk/2007/04/11/60-seconds-richard-fairbrass-250956 "Richard Fairbrass Interview to 60 Seconds"
- http://www.rightsaidfred.com/global/richard "Richard Fairbrass - Weaknesses"